Saturday, July 16, 2011

Baked Sweet Potato Fries

I've often bought sweet potatoes at the market, and once I get them home, they just seem to sit there staring at me. I know they have lots of good for you stuff like beta carotene and vitamins galore, and that's why I can't resist putting them in my grocery bag to begin with. But, I never seem to know how to prepare them in a way that my family will enjoy. Back in the day when my kids were babies, sweet potato was a staple in my kitchen. I baked them, then pureed them up and added seasonal spices. They were a favorite. Now that they are older, I've been at a loss on how to get them to gobble sweet potato up like they used to. A friend of mine mentioned how she is "addicted" to baked sweet potato fries. Intrigued, I did a recipe look up, and after tweaking the recipe a bit, served them to my family with rave reviews. I, myself, like them the old fashioned way....with ketchup. Try this healthy recipe instead of traditional white potato fries, and see for yourself.

Baked Sweet Potato Fries
2 lbs sweet potatoes, about 3 or 4
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp demerara sugar (cane sugar in the raw)
1 tbsp coarse sea salt
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tbsp Cajun style spice (I use Penzey's Northwoods Seasoning)

Preheat oven to 450. Peel and cut potatoes into wedges. Put baking sheet in oven to preheat it. (This will help the fries become more crisp.) Toss sweet potato wedges in medium sized bowl with olive oil and spices, being sure to coat well. (I just use my hands.) Place sweet potatoes in a single layer on preheated baking sheet. Do not spray the pan with non stick cooking spray. The sweet potatoes will crisp nicer in the olive oil without cooking spray. Bake for 15 mins, then turn and bake another 15 mins or until desired crispness is achieved.

No comments: