Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Classroom Brunch/ Baked Cheese Grits Recipe

This week is winding down our 2010-2011 school year. This year has been, well, an education! With it's ups and downs, I am honestly ready for this one to be put in the record books. Both kids worked hard in school this year, and we are so proud of their accomplishments. Amanda Lily brought home her first ever trophy. It is a "straight A" trophy! Yea! Steven's end of the year ceremonies are tomorrow, so I'll have to come back and tell you about his awards afterwards.
I put together an end of the school year classroom brunch in Steven's class. It went really well, and I appreciated all the help I got from the other Mom's with making it happen. The food was all delicious.  The kids really enjoyed the baked cheese grits I made, and several Mom's asked me for the recipe. It's an easy one, courtesy of my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (you know, the huge red plaid one)  I thought I would share, since I haven't posted a recipe in a while......Enjoy!

Baked Cheese Grits
2 cups water
1/2 cup quick cooking grits
1 egg, beaten
1 cup shredded monterey jack or cheddar cheese (i used 1/2 cup of each)
1 TBSP butter
pinch of sea salt

In a saucepan bring water to boiling. Slowly add grits, stirring constantly. Gradually stir about 1/2 cup of the grits mixture into the egg. Return the egg mixture to saucepan and stir to combine. Remove saucepan from heat. Stir cheese and butter into grits mixture until melted. Spoon grits into a 1 quart casserole. Bake in a 325* oven for 25 to 30 mins. Let stand for 5 mins before serving.
You can prepare grits the night before, refrigerate overnight, pop them in the oven in the morning, and they will still turn out lite and fluffy.
                    ALL SMILES IN CLASS TODAY
                     AMANDA LILY'S FIRST TROPHY
STEVEN AND HIS BUDDY BAILEY

No comments: