Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Tea Party Fruit Cups and Cucumber Sandwiches

For Amanda Lily's 9th birthday party, she decided she wanted to have a traditional tea. I originally thought we would just go to our local tea room, but for whatever reason, I couldn't seem to get them to call me back. Plan B was just to have the party at our house, and break out my Grandmother's china for the girls since they are getting older. I pulled together some party decor from years past, ordered some balloons, put together 12 favor bags, and readied a menu. I must say this was one of the easiest parties we've had to date. The girls were all so well mannered and kind. I love this age.

PORTABLE FRUIT CUPS
These portable fruit cups are a nice way to get fresh fruit in a menu. They make a great school party snack as well. I layered blueberries, sliced strawberries, watermelon, and grapes. 
Also, I piped pink icing onto brownie bites to make them special. Yogurt covered pretzels are one of Amanda Lily's all time favorites. What could make them even better? Pink of course!

These cupcakes are chocolate with marshmallow frosting. The recipe for the frosting is on my recipe list to the right. The frosting turned out a bit loose, but the effect it created grew on me, and I ended up liking it.

These are store bought Petit Fors and Macaroons.

CUCUMBER SANDWICHES
1 Bag dry bread (extra large breadcrumbs)
1 cucumber
1 package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup mayo with olive oil
1 tbsp penzeys sandwich sprinkle spice or 1/2 package of dry italian dressing
fresh parsley, chopped for garnish

Mix cream cheese, mayo, and spice or dressing until well blended. Chill for at least an hour so flavors blend together. Slice cucumbers. Spread cream cheese mixture onto dry bread and place a cucumber on top. Sprinkle with fresh parsley.


Grilled Cheese sandwiches and pink lemonade rounded out the menu.



Favor bags with each girl's name doubled as place cards. Another special touch was a rimming of pale pink sugar crystals on each lemonade glass. To create this just dip glasses in light karo syrup then into a plate of sugar crystals.

We had many tea offerings....peach, blackberry, raspberry, earl grey, and lemon. They all enjoyed the sugar cubes, too. 

Party girls in their tea party finest.

Birthday girl. Oh how the years go by.

Group hug after opening presents.

Party smiles.

No comments: