Sunday, September 11, 2011

Quinoa

Have you ever tried Quinoa? In my quest to feed my family in a healthy way, I've stumbled upon something new....Quinoa. It's a grain that's filled with fiber and protein. We are eating less and less meat these days, so I've been on the hunt for protein filled alternatives. All I can say is where have I been? How is it that I have never heard of this delicious food? Here's our dinner from tonight, recipe via my Sis In Law Heather.

QUINOA WITH SAUTEED VEGGIES
1 cup quinoa
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
2 yellow squash
2 zucchini squash
2 cups organic vegetable stock
1/2 jar organic marinara sauce OR 2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
sea salt
ground pepper

Rinse quinoa in colander, then boil in vegetable stock for 15 mins. Sprinkle in salt and pepper. While quinoa is cooking, saute onion, garlic, and veggies in 2 tbsp olive oil. Cook til veggies are al dente. Pour 1/2 jar of marinara sauce (or soy sauce) over sauteed veggies, and stir to incorporate. Spoon veggie mixture over quinoa, and serve warm.  My kids like it with parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.




No comments: