Saturday, December 8, 2012

Ladies Christmas Tea Quiche

A few months back, I got a phone call asking me if I would like to serve on a new committee at our church. I've been stretched very thin lately, but couldn't say no. I am so happy that I accepted the offer, because I've had so much fun, serving with my friends.

Our first banquet on the books was a revival of an old tradition that had been carried on in our church for years, but had been abandoned for the past 4 years. So, the challenge was to delicately put together a beautiful brunch with our new, fresh ideas, without hurting feelings or stepping on toes of people who weren't ready to see things happen in different ways. Our new committee had solid ideas, and we couldn't wait to see the end result, but change is sometimes hard. Months of planning and preparation went into it, and we were all so very pleased with how things turned out. All of the women of the church were impressed, and many of them made it a point to let us all know by sharing stories of how much fun they had, and how they were touched by being there.

18 ladies of the church signed up to host tables. Being a hostess meant they were responsible for bringing the china, silverware, teacups, decor, and a favor for each of the ladies at their table. Each tablescape had it's own theme. I remember being in the church the night before the event, while we ladies were setting our tables, and thinking how beautiful the tables were. I hostessed a table, and decorated it with a combination of my Mom's Christmas china, my Nannie's tea cups, my own silverware, and Amanda Lily's nutcrackers. It was a generational table, and to look at it made my heart happy.

 I spent the majority of the event in the kitchen with my kitchen soul mate and good friend, Trish. She and I whipped up a plate of fresh fruit, salad, and quiche for 180 women that day. We had the men of the church as servers, and hubs was the head of them all, making sure they were attentive to their tables.

Amanda Lily danced as the sugar plum fairy to the Nutcracker music. I caught the last half of her dance onstage. When I heard her music come on while I was in the kitchen, I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest. She had never done anything like this before, all by herself. I watched from the back of the room, and was so proud. All of the women told me afterward what a delight she was.

My friend Heather was our guest speaker, and she spoke about The Magic of Christmas. Her message was so well received, and a much needed breath of fresh air.

Christmas Carols and a few special songs rounded our morning out.

Trish's quiche recipe was so impressive that I used it for Christmas morning breakfast! I'm posting it here to always have it on hand.

Quiche
Pre bake a pie shell brushed with dijon mustard for 6 mins at 400*
Reduce oven temp to 350*

4 eggs
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups heavy cream or 1/2 and 1/2
Sausage, cooked and crumbled (or sliced ham)
Shredded cheese, as much of whatever type you like
Any vegetables you enjoy

Combine eggs,cream cheese, and heavy cream. Whisk in mixer until well blended. Pour into pie shell, and add remaining ingredients. Bake at 350* for approx 55 minutes, or until center is puffed.

These are the only pictures I have of the entire event, and that is because they were shared with me by other ladies who took them. I had no time to take pictures that day!

Amanda Lily as Sugar Plum Fairy.

Amanda Lily and Ella were both seated at my table. I had hot chocolate with sugar rimmed mugs and HUGE marshmallows at their place settings. The candy canes were for them to use as stir sticks. 

The following pictures were taken by my friend, Melody. There are a few shots of the different tables that were set. The Ladies did a beautiful job!


This was mine and Amanda Lily's table. We used her Nutcrackers, Nana's Christmas china, Nannie's tea cups, and my gold chargers. 4 Generations of love. 




My friend Trish. I heart her.

Our servers for the morning. George is on the end, and was a vital part of making everything run smoothly.

Amanda Lily during her dance. I missed most of it, but there is a video. :)

Next up for our Church Ladies team is a small chocolate social for Valentine's Day. Then, another big event, our Spring Tea. I am thinking of allowing Amanda Lily to hostess a table all her own at it, and having her fill it with her closest girl friends. I can't wait!


No comments: