Thursday, May 16, 2013

Ballet Season End and Crock Pot Applesauce

Applesauce is one of Amanda Lily's favorite things. I have another recipe for it on my sidebar using a steamer pot. This recipe I came across this past fall when my life became super hectic, and I was using my crock pot weekly. There are so many variations of this recipe. I have added a couple of peaches or pears, and used a variety of types of apples. Amanda Lily's all time favorite is when I make it using only Green apples.

CROCK POT APPLESAUCE
8 to 10 apples
1 tsp lemon juice
1 strip of lemon peel (use a vegetable peeler)
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
4 tsp unpacked brown sugar, light or dark

Peel, core, and chop apples. Add all ingredients to crock pot and cook on low for 3-4 hours, depending on heat of your crock pot. Stir occasionally to tell when applesauce is cooked. We prefer chunky applesauce, so I just give it a good whisk. However, you could use a food processor or immersion blender to blend until smooth. Refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.

I made this recipe during the week of final ballet performances. Needless to say, it was all gone by the time Sunday rolled around, and her final performance was danced. All that dancing makes a girl hungry!



Every year at final performance time, I give Amanda Lily a small gift. There are no trophies in dance, so I always try to find something that goes along with that year's performance theme. I found this perfect little trinket for her to remember her performance of Cinderella. Inside the pumpkin coach is a tiny wand, mouse, and slipper. She was so pleased to open the small token on her last day of dance for this season.



Another fun tradition is that I have a friend make special cookies in the likeness of her classes costume. These are always a hit with the dancers, and are a non messy way to celebrate Amanda Lily's birthday with her dance friends. Instead of cupcakes or cake, we celebrate with these sweet cookies.





No comments: