Thursday, July 28, 2011

Hydroponics!

Have you ever heard of hydroponics? Well, I hadn't until recently, and I think it's very interesting. So much so, that I am looking into getting the kids school into it. Apparently, there are Federal Grants that will pay for the system, all you need is a willing class and Teacher. What a fun way to integrate hands on learning into a class. Here are some facts, as well as photos I took when we went to check out the hydroponics farm. (Which happens to be within walking distance of my home.) It was so cool and interesting. Grow your own food!!!! I know some of you are Teachers, as well as Moms who are involved in the classrooms. If you want more info, here is their website. www.mytowergarden.com. Jan Young is the lady who operates the local hydroponics farm. Her website is www.livingtowers.com.

And, here is a little info from the flyer:
"The Tower Garden uses a closed system technology to recycle 100% of the nutrients and water. This means the plants only use 5% to 10%  of the nutrients and water that is commonly used in both conventional and organic farming. The Tower Garden is made in the USA and is the only vertical growing system made from USDA approved food grade plastic."

Check out how beautiful and healthy these salad greens and herbs look. You can grow all kinds of things, and vegetables grow in half the time they would take to grow in the ground. Such neat technology. I wish I'd thought of it!



Shout out to my friend, Heather, who introduced us to the Hydroponics farm! :)

No comments: