Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Run? Only if being chased.....

 That has been my answer if ever I was asked to run. So much has happened since my last blog entry. Honestly, the thought of catching up here is overwhelming, so I've just stayed away. Now that the Holidays are over, and most of the Christmas is put away, I have a little extra time to use on my little online diary. I have so many new recipes that I can't wait to post! They were either things I discovered by playing around in my kitchen, or working in a holiday kitchen with a friend.

My last post was back at the end of summer. Next up for we Kountanis' was football camp. Steven joined his same team from last year, the Bulldogs. Unfortunately, after putting in 4 long weeks of practice, he ended up injuring his achilles heel. Instead of playing with his team, he had to go to physical therapy 3 times a week for a month. Here he is with some of his friends/teammates at the first game of the season. He didn't get to play because of his injury, but he wanted to go to support them. The PT told us no football for him this year, so that was that.


George and Steven headed out the door, both all smiles! George was an assistant coach again this year.

I love this picture because I feel like it gives me a glimpse into the future. He looks so grown up in this one.


Now, back to the running thing. Even though he didn't get to play the season, one good thing did come of all those hours on the practice field. While sitting there watching practice in my fold out chair one afternoon, it dawned on me that I literally sat there on my butt for 3 hours, 3 or 4 evenings a week. It seemed like I could be doing something productive with all that time. George and Steven were on the field getting tons of exercise.....maybe I should walk the park area. After a few days, walking turned into jogging. A friend of mine mentioned the couch to 5k app, so I looked into it. I purchased the app, and dutifully followed the program. I was OUT OF SHAPE! Many times, I wanted to fall over in the grass on the field and quit. I AM NOT A RUNNER. However, I am someone who prides herself in being mentally tough. I am stubborn by nature, a girl who doesn't like to quit. This running stuff was a mental challenge, the first one I'd had in a long time. I set a goal of running a 5K, and in my mind, it was ON. 
With Steven's injury, George now had time on his hands, because he was no longer a coach. He decided to run with me. This only amplified my desire to reach my goal. Now we were a team. We ran together every other day, each of us pushing the other. I absolutely love running with G. We catch up on all the little things we have going on, and bounce things off of each other.  There were many times my body wanted to give up and stop, but I would literally rather throw up in the grass and keep running, than quit before it was time. He felt the same. 

We even ran in a tropical storm! G took this pic after our morning run during TS Isaac. The rain was very welcomed cause we were HOT.

This picture was taken at the end of our 5K training. It was the first time we had ever ran for 3.1 miles straight, without stopping. We were so happy to have completed the months of hard work. Now all we needed was a worthy cause to run for. That same week, this flyer came home in our kids back packs.....





No comments: