Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas Cookie Bake







The annual family cookie bake was an interesting adventure this year. We were planning for a crowd as usual, but sometimes plans can be interrupted. It was a bit frustrating because we were all so excited. I had the hot chocolate with cinnamon sticks and marshmallows, all the sprinkles and cookie cutters, and Mom and I had made up lots of homemade cookie dough. We had even made everyone personalized brown bags to bring their cookies home in. But, lets rewind to Friday morning. I woke Steven up for school around 7:00. He was eating his breakfast and kept running into the bathroom. I followed him in to investigate. The poor guy had diarrhea. I had a big day with Amanda Lily's program, but thought it better to keep him home from school. He did pretty good all day with just a couple of "incidents", so I didn't really give it much thought. Until, his best friend Ben's mom called. Trish told me that she had kept Ben home from school today due to diarrhea and vomiting. I told her that Steven had been home as well, but no vomiting. That was at 9pm on Friday night. Around 15 mins later, Steven threw up. I decided to call everyone to let them know of the possibility of a stomach bug. I got mixed answers, just as I thought I would. Some of the moms said their kids had already had the stomach flu, so they were still coming. Some said they would rather chance it than send their kid into a complete meltdown by telling them they weren't coming. And of course, others said they would see us next year. Steven threw up until 4:45 that morning. It was a rough night to say the least. I went ahead and sprayed the entire house with lysol and wiped down every surface with a mix of bleach and water. People started showing up around 9:00am Saturday morning. We had lots of fun cutting and decorating. The gingerbread cookies were my personal favorite. At the end of the afternoon, I was more than exhausted. Amanda Lily came over, gave me a big hug and said "Mommy, I love you more than much" I almost cried. I was so glad that she was happy and Steven was feeling better. They are after all the reason to have a cookie bake. I have yet to hear of anyone being sick. Hopefully all the brave souls who decided to come will remain healthy!




It turned out to be a fun day. I crashed around 10:00 because I had to have the kids at the church Sunday morning at 8:00am for the church Christmas Pageant......but that of course will be my next blog!






No comments: