Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Amanda Lily's Christmas Present

PAUSE THE MUSIC AT THE BOTTOM OF MY BLOG TO HERE THIS VIDEO

We decided to turn our "formal" dining room into a music room for our family to enjoy. We have a full sized Dining room table in our kitchen, and never used the one in the formal space. George and I were thinking along these lines for a while, since Amanda Lily has been progressing in her piano. She's been playing on a small keyboard for the past year and a half, and I felt she was ready for the jump to the real deal.
I asked her instructor to be on look out for anyone who was interested in selling a black baby grand, and to my surprise, she offered hers! The sentimental value in the fact that this is the piano Amanda Lily has learned on from the start, coupled with the fact that it is flat black, and just the right size made it seem like destiny. I knew I didn't want some Liberachi looking piano all blinged out. I wanted something with character, but also a good sound. This piano was built in the 1960's and is a Baldwin. We are thrilled.
I started transforming the room back over the summer. I knew this was going to be a long project, and as a matter of a fact, I'm not done with the room yet. I've been taking my time painting the walls, adding wainscoting, finding the perfect rug and chandelier. I even asked Santa to bring me a specific piece of artwork for the room. Also, I have my eye on a specific couch (settee) for my upcoming birthday. Once it's in place, the room will be complete. I'll then post pictures of the before and after. I just wanted to post this video clip I got of Amanda Lily coming home from school and playing it for the first time.

No comments: