Friday, December 30, 2011

The Nutcracker Experience

Amanda Lily and I have been attending the Nutcracker ballet since she was 6 months old. Looking back on it, I think....I must have been crazy to take an infant to the ballet at such a young age. What was I thinking? I guess I just wanted Steven to have a little "culture" in his life, and he was still young enough to not balk at the idea of going to the ballet. Needless to say, for the past several years it's just been us girls who go. It kind of morphed from there into a tradition with our friends Heather and Mia, who have joined us at the ballet for the past 3 years in a row. We had always attended the "Family Series", which is just a shortened version that is held at 10 am on Saturday for the younger set. She had always sat literally on the edge of her seat, with her mouth hung open, until, last year. When it was over, Amanda Lily said to me "Mom, this is just intermission, right? They've left out several acts!" As we gathered our things I explained to her that we have always come to the condensed version, but promised next year we would attend "the real deal."

I bought our tickets the day they went on sale.(6 months in advance) It was one of those stalking Ticketmaster moments. Our seats were front and center. The best seats we've ever had at the ballet. Heather and Mia were excited to come as well. Heather and I decided to make a weekend of it, so we planned a girls get away with a Nutcracker theme. We stayed at the lush Bohemian hotel in downtown Orlando. It was so exciting getting ready in our fancy clothes, then heading off to the evening ballet. I asked my favorite cookie designer to make cookies for the girls to have at bedtime at the hotel. She made each of them a Nutcracker, Ballerina, and Mouse. The cookies were adorable. We also ordered matching beautiful red plaid nightgowns for the girls to wear to bed. It was such a magical Christmas memory. I hope the girls never forget. I know I sure won't.

After it was all said and done, Amanda Lily told me she wants to be "Clara" in the Nutcracker. She said she's going to work hard, and when she's 10 years old, that's what she's going to do. I told her to go for it. And folks, stayed tuned, or at least check back in a few years,  because I wouldn't be one to bet against her when she's put her mind to something.

                                      Opening Christmas presents
Bohemian lobby Christmas Trees
                                Bohemian roof top swimming pool
                      Bohemian ridiculously FAB roof top space
Sweet Plaid Nightgowns


                                               Yummy Cookies
Happy Girls!!!!!!!!!

No comments: