Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Our Families Big Fat Greek Wedding!




































While we were in Greece this summer, our first cousin got married! It was such an emotional time. I was very happy for her, because she has started a new life, with a wonderful man. But, I was also sad because I just can't seem to get past the fact that she is old enough to even get married in the first place. You see, my first trip to Greece was when I was 19 years old....a baby myself. I fell head over heels in LOVE with George's family. All of these little cousins brought me into their circle, and made me feel like one of them. They were the ones who taught me the Greek Alphabet, and how to dance all of the Greek dances. Now they are all grown up, and it really pulled at my heart strings watching Paraskevi get married. I recalled the quiet little girl who used to braid my hair and have the patience to teach me to dance. She was my kids age when I met her, and now she is all grown up, with a job, and a house of her own, and a life of her own. I am so proud of her. She was such a beautiful bride! Steven and Amanda Lily were two of her little flower girl and ring bearers. In Greece, you do not have friends in your wedding, only children.




The pictures with the bride and groom on the bed are of a Greek custom. Friends and family go to the couple's home and throw money, flowers, rice, jordan almonds, and a baby boy on the bed. Everything is symbolic. Money for wealth, Flowers for Love, Jordan Almonds for sweetness, Baby Boy for fertility....you get the idea. It is a custom that we did for our Greek Wedding too, as I think it is important to keep these traditions alive. The wedding itself had over 400 guests, all who stayed until well past 3 am dancing and celebrating. Greek weddings are incredible! If you are ever invited to one, please attend, and bring your dancing shoes!









No comments: