Friday, April 6, 2012

Reaping

The two weeks before Spring Break, Amanda Lily had evaluations at dance. You see, once she reached the classical ballet division, she is evaluated every year to see which class she will be placed in for the following dance season. Another words, this is the first year the girls move according to ability, not age. This makes a mama very nervous. In fact, there were moments during evaluation weeks that I moved away from the observation window, because I was nervous for her and the other girls. She on the other hand, was cool as a cucumber. Dance is her thing. She is a hard worker at dance, so committed and determined to be the best that she can be. It is one of her personality traits I admire, and at the same time have to keep reigned in...... she's a bull.

Isn't it funny how some of us moms over think things when it comes to our kids successes and/or failures? I know I'm not the only one. Whether in academics, sports, or in my case, dance. The kids just want to do their best and be happy. While we get nervous of them being judged or scored. I guess knowing how important dance is to Amanda Lily is what made me nervous. Would she not move up to the next level? Would she be heart broken if she didn't? I knew a life lesson was coming either way.

The artistic director of the ballet school told the parents that we would be getting a letter in the mail letting us know where our child would be placed for the next dance year. The letter came this week, and to our great surprise, not only did she move up a level, she skipped a level! On this day, the life lesson was that hard work and determination do pay off. You reap what you sow. When I told Amanda Lily the news, she cried. Then she put her hand over her mouth in disbelief, and I saw her huge smile peeking out from where she was covering her mouth with her hand. We were in the car on our way to meet up with her dance friend Ella when I told her. Ella's mom and I had conspired to give their little dancing feet a surprise pedicure. Ella had skipped to ballet 2 as well. What an exciting time for them.

We are so proud of our ballerina girl. Keep dancing Amanda Lily....shine on baby. You can do or be anything you put your mind to.






No comments: